Thursday, August 21, 2014

Home at last! ~and~ tips for Mom's of boys :)

Finally home sweet home!  I am so happy I was able to reunite with my family tonight.   

Before I left, I wrote each child a note to be delivered each morning.  They would either open it prior to leaving for school or Jack was to put it in their lunch.  I decided to incorporate a gift that a sweet lady at my church gave me years ago.  It's called a "Blessing Box."  I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know the person's name that gave it to me.  She just walked up and handed it to me and told me she wanted me to have it.  It really is the neatest idea.  It is filled with verses.  Some are in tiny scrolls while others are pasted onto foam shapes with various pictures or designs on them.  I decided that instead of keeping all of these blessings to myself, I would give one to each of the kids each day.  The kids were so excited to get their letters each day.  I know the girls were much more excited than the boys (or maybe they just show their excitement better) but it was still a fun way to give a "blessing" from the Lord and a word of encouragement from me as well.  



Today in class, the instructor briefly mentioned the stress that parents often experience with potty training.  I remember those days and I do NOT want to relive them.  The stress that Jack and I have experienced as parents is probably like the stress most families with 4 children face.  We were (are) constantly faced with logistical dilemmas, accusations of favoritism, fatigue and heaven forbid the fear of forgetting one of them somewhere!  We have always been fairly laid back as far as letting our children roam and experience things (in other words we probably drove others crazy with our seemingly lack of over-protection).  This has not always gone well and we have lots of humorous stories to remember to tell our grandchildren about.  Jack started keeping "the book" years ago.  Anytime anything funny or memorable happens with one of the kids, he says "that goes into the BOOK!" and he writes it down.   I'm so glad he does this because I do not ever want to forget the funny and sweet things our kids do that make us smile. 

I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way in parenting and some I have learned from other's mistakes.  I thought perhaps I could share some of my learned experiences to hopefully prevent these mistakes from being repeated (and hopefully preventing injury!) So here are a few things to consider:



1.  Don't let your kids know you heat the bathroom up in the winter with the hairdryer (if your bathroom is that big, perhaps you should buy a space heater).
2.  Don't let bullets accidentally fall to the floor when you empty your pockets after shooting at the     range.
3.  Don't leave young boy child alone in the bathroom with a hairdryer heating up the room.
4.  Don't let young boy child venture into your closet to find bullet on the floor.
5.  Don't think that the young boy won't try to see what will happen if he heats the bullet he found on the floor with the hairdryer.
6.  DO know that bullets WILL explode when heated up with the hair dryer.
7.  Don't call your spouse while they are at work to find out how to treat a toe that was slightly injured by a bullet the young boy exploded with the hair dryer.
8.  DO have a conversation with young boy child...and if he responds with "I will NEVER play with a hairdryer again," know he has completely missed the point and you may need to start over. 
9.  DO pray over your children and ask for wisdom...because sometimes it escapes our brains.  Also ask for protection because kids will do the craziest things even if you think they wouldn't.

Disclaimer: There is no admission of this happening to anyone in our family.  


Psalm 4:8New International Version (NIV)

In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.


Proverbs 22:6The Message (MSG)
Point your kids in the right direction—
    when they’re old they won’t be lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment